Image © Copyright Estate of Fernand Leduc / SODRAC (2015)
“…l’aigle sous cap” 1950
Oil on canvas board
60 x 51 centimeters, 20 x 24 inches
Jean Paul Riopelle.
Currently on exhibition in the The Thomson Collection at the Art Gallery of Ontario
BIO Fernand Leduc ( 1916 – 2014 )
In 1938 Fernand Leduc started his studies at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Montreal. Member of the Contemporary Arts Society. Leduc played a major role in forming the group known as the Les Automatistes, he signed the Refus Global manifesto. Fernand Leduc moved to Paris with his wife Therese Renaud in 1946 he participated the exhibition Automatisme at the Galerie du Luxembourg. Founding member of the first phase Plasticiens group, moving to geometric abstraction in 1955. He founded the Non-Figurative Artists’ Association of Montreal ( Association des artistes non-figuratifs de Montreal ) in 1956. Leduc returned to France in 1959 and stayed there until 1970, when he came back for two years to teach in Montreal. In 1979 he was awarded the Louis-Philippe Hebert Prize and the Paul-Emile Borduas Prize in 1988. Leduc currently lives in Montreal. He recently received the Governor General’s Award and the Order of Canada.
Fernand Leduc passed away January 28 2014 in Montreal