Walter Hawley Yarwood (1917-1996)
“Landscape and Rain”
Oil on canvas, signed lower left: Yarwood
149.9 x 99.1 cm, 59 x 39 in.
• Acquired directly from the Artist, private collection, Mississauga, Ontario.
• Painters 11, Roberts Gallery, Toronto, February 11- 26, 1955.
• 20th Annual Exhibition of American Abstract Artists with ‘Painters Eleven’ of Canada,
Riverside Museum, New York, April 8 – May 20, 1956.
• Ontario Society of Artists, 85th Annual Exhibition, Art Gallery of Toronto, March 9 – April 7, 1957.
• Riverside Art Gallery, New York, 1956, brochure-catalogue , #20.
• Ontario Society of Artists 85th Annual exhibition catalogue, 1957, #88, illustrated.
• Painters Eleven in Retrospect, The Robert McLaughlin Gallery, 1979, p.71.
• Painters Eleven: The Wild Ones of Canadian Art, Iris Nowell, 2010, p. 279, illustrated in situ.
Walter Yarwood was a member of the Canadian Art Group Painters Eleven, studied at Western Technical School in Toronto then worked as a freelance commercial artist and briefly shared a studio with Oscar Cahen whom he met around 1947. Yarwood produced beautifully executed abstract expressionist paintings throughout the mid 1950s until the early 1960s then turned his focus to sculpture.
- Walter Yarwood, photo Peter Croydon, 1957
copyright Lynda M. Shearer 2013
For further information on the Painters Eleven, click on the following link: www.painters-eleven.com