Oil on linen, signed lower right “EWEN / 55”
45.7 x 152.4 centimetres, 18 x 60 inches
• Robert Asselin, Montréal.
• Espace 55, Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, Feb. 11 – 28, 1955.
• Paterson Ewen Retrospective, London Regional Art Gallery, Nov. 5 – 29, 1976, cat. #8.
• Espace 55, Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal, 1955, catalogue, section II, illustrated.
• Peinture 1955, L’autorite, Feb. 26, 1955 p. 6, illustrated (inverted)
• Paterson Ewen: The Montreal Years, Mattew Teitelbaum, 1987, p. 19. illustrated.
• Paterson Ewen: The Turn from Non-Figurative to Figurative Painting,
Heather A. Fraser, Journal of Canadian Art History, Vol. 13, No. 1, 1990, p. 29, illustrated. “Form and ground begin to merge in Untitled (fig. 2) through a confident use of black lines which slash emphatically from left to right across a boldly horizontal canvas. Black striations of oil which seep into areas of unsized canvas create boundaries for the riotous colour: green, blue, brown, red and yellow.”
Espace 55 catalogue entry (click on images to enlarge)
Paterson Ewen was born on April 7, 1925 in Montreal. Studied drawing at McGill under John Lyman after his discharge from the Canadian Army in 1946. Married Quebec Automatiste painter, sculptor and dancer Francoise Sullivan in 1949. Finished art courses at MMFA under Arthur Lismer, Goodridge Roberts and Jacques de Tonnancour. In 1952 spent the summer in St. Adele with Jean-Paul Mousseau.1955 Traveled to New York with Molinari and visited with Borduas in his New York studio. By 1966 was living in Molinaris studio in Montreal. 1968 Moved to London Ontario.
- 1950 Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal
- 1955 Espace 55, Montreal
- 1955 Galerie L’Actuelle, Montreal
- 1956 Parma Gallery, New York
- 1957 35 Painters Today, Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal
- 1958 Montreal Museum of Fine Arts
- 1959 Aspects of Canadian Painting, New York
- 1960 Non-Figurative Artists Association, Montreal
- 1961 Denyse Delrue Gallery, Montreal
- 1962 Spoleto Italy
- 1968 7th. Biennial of Canadian Painting, National Gallery of Canada
- 1969 Retrospective, Hamilton, Ontario
- 1974 Art Gallery of Ontario
- 1976 Retrospective, London, Ontario
Paterson Ewens works are represented in most Canadian museums including:
- The National Art Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
- Museum of Contemporary Art, Montreal
- Musee des Beaux-Arts, Montreal
- Art Gallery of Vancouver
- Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto
- Art Gallery of London, Ontario
The images and content accessible on this site are protected under international copyright law and may
not be used for any manner of publication or transmitted, in whole or in part, over
communication networks without written permission from the copyright holders.